Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Saturday, January 15, 2011
"Although earlier studies in women were conflicting, there is increasing evidence that chronic exposure to the environmental chemicals dioxins and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) is associated with an increased prevalence and severity of endometriosis. One way to reduce intake of these chemicals is to cut back on animal fat, especially high-fat dairy, red meat, and fish. Dioxin and PCBs both accumulate in animal fat, and it is our main route of exposure.
Interestingly, studies on diet and endometriosis also support this link. For example, an Italian study examined data from 504 women with endometriosis and found an increased risk with a high intake of red meat and ham. Fresh fruit and vegetables were associated with a reduction in risk."
I had gone into a vegan lifestyle for a few months and seen amazing results, after also including exercise and acupuncture in my treatment. I thought that free-range and organic meats would be OK, having less chemicals and antibiotics than regular meats. Almost immediately after introducing these free range and organic meats, my symptoms returned and two new cysts were found in my abdomen. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how "pure" the meat or dairy it, it has the same effect on my body. Meat, dairy and eggs, promote the pro-inflammatory prostaglandins.
I am going to continue my research on natural remedies and preventions, hoping to find a few more teas or supplements that will help my body. It seems as if I am more sensitive than most people when it comes to how my body reacts to dairy and meat. As much as it will suck to give up dairy again, I have to remember how many amazing foods I consumed while vegan. My beloved Monday dinner might only consist of potatoes for a while... but it's for the best and will keep me out of the operating room.
Monday, January 10, 2011
Tuesday, January 4, 2011
I have always wanted to be a mom. Getting pregnant has been a complete blessing and I am so excited to meet my son. Every movement he makes is a miracle. This wonderful feeling and absolutel bliss is apparent around 98% of the time. And that remaining 2%? Terror.
I am so afraid of messing up, it's hard to even write this without betting teary eyed. It's crazy to think of how much I'm going to love this little person, and how much I want to do everything perfect... how they deserve perfection.
After thinking about these feelings for a couple days, I think that being terrified can be a positive thing. Being paranoid about having the car seat set up perfectly and making sure the bottles are BPA free are things that I think every new parent worries about. I think that the more times I double check the seat belt attachment, the more likely it's hooked up correctly.
I also have to accept that not everyone is going to agree with our decisions. That's OK. As my mom always said, there's no parenting manual. I am going to have to trust my instincts.
In less than a month and a half, we will be brand new parents and I can't wait. And although at times it can seem terrifying, it's the best feeling of anticipation I've ever felt in my life.