Friday, November 5, 2010

Don't be a crappy friend.

Just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean I have the plague or that I'm no longer capable of hanging out and maintaining friendships. My level of existence didn't change. I may not be capable of hiking or power walking but I am still able to be a friend. And I still have feelings.

I think that when people have friends that are having children, they think their friends will no longer be interested in being human beings with social lives. This is not the case. I don't want to be left out because I'm pregnant. I don't want to stop being invited out.

I understand that there are some stages in pregnancy that ladies are less likely to be out and about. But that doesn't mean we want to be made to feel like there's something wrong with us. Don't drop out of our lives. Don't stop including us and inviting us. It's nice to be thought about, even if it is unlikely we are able to participate. A friend just invited me to her rollerskating party. She knew I wouldn't be skating. But you know what? It's pretty incredible that she was still thoughtful enough to think about me and include me in her birthday events.

And have some patience, please? For all the time I have listened to my friends talk about their love lives (or lack of), finances, animals, jobs and other random occurrences in their lives, I don't think it's too much to ask that a dear friend listen as I talk about the most important, substantial thing I have ever done in my life. Especially when it's pretty much... a miracle. Support would be appreciated. Don't feel like hearing it? Then you probably shouldn't be a part of my life. Because the most important thing in my life is no longer me.

My friend Stephanie sent me a link to a great article. If you have a friend that plans on having a child soon, it might be beneficial to read this:
Rocking Aunt and Uncle hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment